Sector and Community Consultations
The WA Parliament has appointed a Joint Select Committee on Palliative Care in Western Australia which is holding an inquiry into palliative care and is seeking submissions by 10 July 2020.
As the palliative care peak body, Palliative Care WA will be making a submission to the Committee. To ensure we represent as many sector and community views as possible, we are undertaking a consultative process.
- Wednesday 8 July 4:30 – 6:00pm
- Seminar Room at 15 Bedbrook Place Shenton Park
- Register at https://pcwasectorconsultationpalliativecare.eventbrite.com.au
This forum will focus on the progress of palliative care in WA, and in particular the implementation progress of the recommendations made in the My Life, My Choice report resulting from the Joint Select Committee into End of Life Choices in 2017.
There will be a panel briefing followed by opportunity for participants to share information and raise issues they would like to see reflected in our submission. The panel includes:
- Dr Elissa Campbell, PCWA President as panel moderator
- Dr Alison Parr, Clinical Lead WACPCN and Director Medical Services, St John of God Hospital
- Zoe Clarke, Senior Social Worker and PCWA Board member
- Andrew Allsop, Manager at Silver Chain and PCA Board Director
- Clare Mullens, Engagement Manager for Health Consumers’ Council
Please note that we are strictly limited to a maximum of 30 people in the seminar room and will therefore also offer participation via zoom. You can nominate which way you wish to participate when you register on Eventbrite.
In each of the following consultations there will be an expert briefing, followed by opportunity for participants to share information and raise issues regarding palliative care services they would like to see reflected in our submission. All community consultations will be held via zoom.
Monday 6 July 11:00am – 12:30pm Palliative care delivery in Residential Aged Care LINK TO REGISTER
Tuesday 7 July 9:00 – 10:30am Palliative care needs for people with disabilities LINK TO REGISTER
Tuesday 7 July 1:00 – 2:30pm The critical role of carers in the delivery of palliative care LINK TO REGISTER
Tuesday 7 July 3:30 – 5:00pm Palliative care needs for the LGBTIQ+ community LINK TO REGISTER
Wednesday 8 July 9:00 – 10:30am Palliative Care Needs in Aboriginal Communities LINK TO REGISTER
Wednesday 8 July 12:00 – 1:00pm Palliative care needs in regional and remote communities LINK TO REGISTER
Thursday 9 July 10:00 – 11:30am Palliative care needs for culturally diverse communities LINK TO REGISTER
Thursday 9 July 12:00 – 1:30pm Palliative care needs for people experiencing cognitive decline LINK TO REGISTER
Given the extremely tight timeline set by the Joint Select Committee on Palliative Care, we are also running an online survey for those of you who may not be able to participate in the above consultations. You can access the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSCPallCare.
What you need to know
The Committee will be inquiring into and reporting on:
- the progress in relation to palliative care, in particular the implementation progress of the recommendations made in the My Life, My Choice report that came out of the Joint Select Committee into End of Life Choices;
- the delivery of the services associated with palliative care funding announcements in 2019–2020;
- the delivery of palliative care into regional and remote areas; and
- the progress on ensuring greater equity of access to palliative care services between metropolitan and regional areas.
Comments are closed.