Managing COVID-19 in Aged Care
Given the constantly changing situation, and the critical priority for aged care services to prepare for COVID-19, we have decided to change the focus for the Palliative Care WA quarterly forum next Tuesday 17 March.
We will now be offering a forum on Managing COVID-19 in Aged Care.
This change has been made following consultation with sector representatives, including those who had agreed to present at the “Spotlight on Palliative Care in Aged Care” forum. We will reschedule this forum for later in the year.
While the coronavirus presents a severe care crisis of unknown proportions throughout the community, we know that those who are elderly, frail, and/or with underlying chronic or serious illness are most at risk. The latest figures from WHO show that while the average death rate from COVID-19 is somewhere between 2% and 4%, the death rate among elderly patients is estimated at 15% to 22%.
This forum will now involve a briefing from Dr Simon Towler on the clinical profile of COVID-19 followed by table and panel discussions on management strategies in aged care settings. Panel members are still being finalised however will include:
- Dr Simon Towler – staff specialist in intensive care at Fiona Stanley Hospital,
- Dr Scott Blackwell – GP and Palliative Care Practitioner, Collaborative Healthcare,
- Ed Gaudoin – Clinical Nurse Manager, Metropolitan Palliative Care Consultancy Service, Bethesda Health Care, and
- Carol Douglas – Nurse Practitioner, Residential Care Line Outreach Service, WA Health.
- Tuesday 17 March 2020, 2:30pm to 4:30pm (forum starts promptly at 2:30pm)
- Seminar Room, Milroy Lodge, 15 Bedbrook Place, Shenton Park – please park in the upper rear carpark.
- We have just made this forum FREE for PCWA for members and non-members. Any non-members who previously booked a paid ticket will be refunded.
- Register via Eventbrite: https://pcwacovid19inagedcare.eventbrite.com.au.
- Video-conferencing is available – please indicate when you book.
- This forum is open to anyone and will suit people working in aged care and palliative care.
Please note anyone who had previously registered for the forum on “Spotlight on Palliative Care in Aged Care” will automatically be registered for Managing COVID-19 in Aged Care. If you no longer wish to attend, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.