Advance Care Planning in Western Australia
In June 2008 the Parliament of Western Australian passed legislation permitting Western Australians to complete Advance Health Directives and appoint substitute healthcare decision-makers. Palliative Care WA Inc welcomed this legislation, and further calls for a comprehensive, cost-effective advance care planning program for all health services across the state.
We adopted our Advance Care Planning in Western Australia Position Statement in March 2009.
As a founding member, Palliative Care WA Inc supports the policy initiatives of Palliative Care Australia.
Significant policy documents which can be found on the Palliative Care Australia website at www.palliativecare.org.au include:
- Standards for Providing Quality Palliative Care for All Australians (2005)
- A Guide to Palliative Care Service Development: A Population-Based Approach (2005)
- Position Statements on the following topics:
- Carers and End of Life
- Advance Care Planning
- Primary Health Care and End of Life
- Residential Aged Care and End of Life
- Voluntary Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide.
Policy Forum, National Palliative Care Week 2008
At the Matter of Life and Death Forum staged by Palliative Care WA Inc during National Palliative Care Week on 27 May 2008, attendees adopted a communiqué (Download Forum Communique).
You can also read the report of the Forum (Download Short Forum Outcomes Report), which included discussion of the then pending Consent to Medical Treatment legislation.
Brochures & Statements